Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:47 pm by imperialpigdog

» The Faceless
Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:58 pm by Admin

» Edge
Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:50 pm by Nanarchy

Copyright
Imperium-meta © - The Creator
[Patrick BouvierDavis Jr.]
CustomCharacters, Equipment, Techniques, Images, etc.
[Their RightfulOwners]
Art, Graphics,HTML & Css Coding
[Their Rightfulowners]
Any creations, posts, and ideas from this site are copyrighted to their respective owners. Therefore, information may not be taken or used without their permission. Failing to abide is plagiarism, unless given credit is noted.
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.

Share | 

Tech Description and Templet

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Tech Description and Templet   Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:17 am

Alrighty so my name is Stimmothy or Steven and I’m here to help you create a list of moves to use for your character. I don’t think we need to list things as simple as say parries, thrusts, punches, kicks, side jumps, etc unless there is something specific about it that is augmented or something that separates it from the rest of the motions like it. Without any further adieu let’s get started.

If you haven’t read the definition of combat I ask you to stop right now and get on that because I’m going to use many terms from that list here. Also now would be a good time to address those questions you may have about those definitions so go ahead and send those to us before reading on.

All moves have a name, a description, and a cost. The name is an identifier and your character doesn’t have to say it. It’s simply a reference point and saves time in writing and reading. If you wish for only the DM and yourself to know it at first, you will have to write the description when it’s used. The description is needed so everyone knows what your move is intended to do, without that no one can defend and the DM doesn’t know the extent of the possible damage. A short description of what your character does should suffice.
That brings us to cost. Cost is the most important thing as it keeps everything in balance. Without a cost, we could have world-breaking or highly advanced players messing with the lesser skilled players. The only thing a cost is required to have in an Tech is a heat point cost. This cost prevents us from using all sorts of high powered moves simply because each motion should use up stamina or increase heat output in a machine’s case. Now if your attack requires fuel of some sort, it should have a reasonable fuel cost, same with an electric attack using energy, or any other consumable source.
Now I’m a person that works in examples so I’ll be using plenty of those going through here along with a loose definition. Remember imagination is key here and in combat.

Attack- Attacks come in three forms. Attacks, Feints, and Attack-Supports. The thing that identifies these are the intent to harm first. Here I will define things that are normally attacks but that doesn’t mean without some creativity they couldn’t fill other roles in a pinch.
Example of something that is strictly an attack;
Mantis Fury - Repeated rocket enhanced strikes.
Cost - 5-10% fuel cost per limb and intensity 2 heat points per strike
This does nothing else except attack or strike. In certain situations it could be used to work through objects, but it would probably be used to push an offensive. The way this is phrased, I have to specify which limbs are striking and how many times, but otherwise it is listed out fine.
Example of something that is a Feint
Mantis Blade - A distraction based charge tactic followed by either a leg sweep or a hook or uppercut
Cost - 7% fuel cost 2 heat points
First let me define a feint: make a deceptive or distracting movement, typically during a fight. A feint is an attack that is preceded by any motion that is designed to throw someone off. It could have a secondary effect of a defensive maneuver or is a trick to get in an attack. Options are key in feints and are designed to take your opponent off guard. The reason being is because a good player should play against them accordingly. As stated before, no one is invincible so take a hit sometimes.
Example of an Attack-Support
Mantis Spawn - A rocket propelled, remote controlled punching maneuver
Cost - One full limb fuel (⅛ full fuel) and 1 heat point to launch.
An attack-support is something that is used as an attack primarily but has potential to do something on another turn/post. I’d recommend here to give yourself options. I could launch 2 limbs and have those chase the opponent, I could put something in the hand to plant elsewhere, I could use it to layer attacks later and overwhelm an opponent.

These are examples from my character that I’ve made that play to his strength, tool, and module. All of these could be used to do things other than attack, some could be used to defend or dodge and some could be used to set up a series of events.

Defends also come in three forms and, like attacks, are defined by intent more than anything else. A defensive maneuver is something that prevents damage to you, an ally, or one of your supports. These three forms are Counters, Defends, and defend-supports.
Example of a counter
Quick Strike Switch - A sudden rocket fueled change to the side to the side or away from the opponent or harm. Normally followed by an attack.
Cost- 5% fuel and 4 heat points
The best thing about counters is it’s literally a deflection or dodge followed by an attack, as long as it’s part of the same series of movements. Mantis doesn’t have to use this to bridge into an attack but the phrasing allows one to do so. Heck if you wanted to you could make a specific set of a counter attack like the Fire Emblem characters in Smash Bros. As long as the intend is to prevent damage first and attack second, it’s a counter.
Example of a Defense
Radial Rotation - Mantis uses his rockets or momentum to swing his limbs away from the inward line his body. Used to block projectiles and swings effectively
Cost - if rocket is used, 2.5% max fuel and 1 heat point.
Though this could have potential to be a counter if there is close combat, it would primarily be a defense move in the sense it’s designed to specifically prevent damage to Mantis’s body. Also, it doesn’t bridge directly into an attack or support so therefore it fits best here.
Example of a defense-support
Unfortunately Mantis’s fight style doesn’t leave much room for these. If that changes I’ll edit this later. However an example of a defense support is something that could leave something to be used later on other terms. Pulling up a wall of Earth to block an attack or generating a semi-perminate magnetic field are fantastic examples of defense supports. Remember, a defend is designed to prevent damage first.

That leads us to supports and like the other two they come in three different forms. Unlike the other two however, supports normally don’t normally make an action the turn they’re placed. Now since we’ve been over so much already we’ll keep this simple, A support could place a trap, it could generate something to be used to defend later, it could be a buff to yourself, a healing circle, a debuff on an opponent, damaging or changing the environment as an advantage to you or a disadvantage for your opponent. In short anything that doesn’t directly attack your opponent that turn or doesn’t defend you from an attack that turn is considered a support.
One would say that supports are the key to any battle. I mean if you took a turn to lay three good traps and your opponent isn’t prepared, you win next turn by activating them. You could use supports and defends to tire out an opponent, but in both supports are necessary.

In short it would be good to have at least one Tech that could fit into every potential category. Now that doesn’t mean you need 9 different Techs, just ones that fit into all 9 categories. Though I highly recommend against having one Tech that fits into all categories.

I’ll reiterate and say that each Tech needs a name, a description and a cost. Also, I’d like to suggest making an extremely powerful signature move. Mantis’s is as follows
Radial Dive - Full force rocket boost fist first into opponent, preferably skyward
Cost - 100% Max Fuel, 40 heat points
The thought I had with this is imagine for a second that you had a small rocket flying at you. It also uses all of his fuel and his tool. Something along those lines.

NameDescriptionCost
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Tech Description and Templet
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1